Wednesday, August 4, 2010

NO WAY!

Ha ha!  I'm actually posting on time!  What is up with that?  I guess I'd better get this post out before I busy myself with something else. (Started at about 10:30)

~*~*~*~*~*~

As Rhea paused to gather her thoughts, Aoede sat down.  Her face was serious as she looked across the table at Rhea.  "Alright, Aoede.  So you claim to be a muse, a Greek demigod.  Now, the Greeks were notorious for their pantheon being very human in their actions, just more powerful.  I don't doubt you have flaws.  But why haven't you aged?"

Aoede blinked.  "I do not age, Rhea.  Yes, the Greek deities were very human in their actions and though processes.  However, aside from deities who were already aged, there was never a story of us aging.  Therefore, how is it possible I can age?  And if I did, I would die only to be  reborn again."

"Right.  Say for a moment that I believed that.  It would mean you've lived for several thousand years.  How do you spend your time?"

"Various ways.  I study the various civilizations that pop up, along with my two sisters.  I also serve in my role as a Muse, inspiring those who seek and are willing to accept my aid."

"Doesn't that get boring?" said Rhea, her voice flat.

"Honestly?  No.  You would be surprised at the common themes that run through cultures.  Societies often hold the same taboos and general rules.  As for inspiration, it's the main purpose for my existence.  I inspire and, with the help of my sister Mneme, I record music and poetry and books for posterity.  They are intertwined.  Music and writing is shaped by the society in which it is created.  In some cases, such things can in turn shape the society.  I have not tired of either in all the years I have existed."  Aoede lifted the corner of her mouth in a partial smile.

"Mmhmm.  I guess I can see that.  So tell me again why you chose Jane."

"Why I chose her?  There is no choosing here, Rhea.  At least not in the active sense you seem to mean.  She is a creative soul, a musician.  I was there helping her when she wrote her first song as a little girl.  I helped present her with things to pique her interest through school.  I watched when she stopped writing.  Believe it or not, there was nothing I could do about that.  As I've said, I can only help those who are willing to accept it.  At that point, she wasn't.  Even had I revealed myself to her then, if she didn't want to write, I couldn't force her."  Aoede sighed.  "Rhea, this isn't just about me.  We both know that.  So why don't you tell me what you really want."

No comments:

Post a Comment